In the education sector, there is enormous potential for cloud-based technology to enable process automation, as well as to dramatically improve productivity and reliability, and reduce costs.
According to a recent whitepaper by Microsoft and Tech & Learning, “K-12 districts no longer have to spend time, money, and bandwidth maintaining their own technology hardware. By offloading this labour-intensive job to the cloud, districts are saving as much as 20 to 30 percent or more, as well as improving teaching and learning.”
For many independent schools, moving to a cloud-based infrastructure – or a hybrid-cloud infrastructure – can deliver several crucial benefits. These include:
Fires, floods, break-ins and power outages are common in schools and this can affect the availability of the school’s overall information and communications technology. Yet in any school, having systems go off-line, for any period of time, is extremely disruptive.
With a cloud-based solution such as Insync’s Modern School, however, everyone from the school principal to the individual student can benefit from improved system and network reliability:
- The school principal can rest assured that school data remains archived and programmatically backed up in the event of a disaster.
- The school’s business manager can maintain the school’s operational effectiveness around the clock, and avoid the need to alert fee-paying parents about any outages.
- The IT manager can enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that the school’s data and systems are safeguarded by a third-party backup and disaster recovery plan.
- And both students and teachers can quickly and easily restore deleted files and recover from catastrophic computing failures.
More robust security
In an educational context, with so much sensitive student data at hand, security is a vital consideration.
By moving critical workloads to more resilient public cloud infrastructure which has security measures embedded within it, schools can protect their data and enjoy greater peace of mind.
Using cloud-based services ensures student records are secure and accessible – even if something happens to the school. Your cloud services provider can offer secure backup and can recover your data quickly if required.
Greater efficiency and cost savings
A cloud-based solution can also provide schools with crucial cost savings in several areas:
- Process automation – by streamlining certain labour-intensive tasks, a cloud-based solution can enable far more effective and efficient ways of working, which can generate considerable cost savings. For instance, simply automating the on-boarding process for a new student can save most schools an enormous amount of time and effort.
- Shift in cost centre – you pay for the cloud on a month-to-month operating expense rather than as an up-front capital expense, which can be far easier for cash flow management.
Lower IT operating costs - In a recent cloud report by CDW, 25 percent of respondents said one of the cloud’s biggest benefits was that it reduced IT operating costs. K-12 education leaders also said that, thanks to cloud computing, they expect a savings of 20 percent on their IT budget within one year and a savings of up to 27 percent within four years.
To learn more about how a cloud-based solution could improve process automation and generate efficiencies for your school:
Or get in touch with the education experts at Insync on 1300 652 207 or email email@example.com.
 Microsoft and Tech & Learning, The Case for Cloud Computing in K-12